If you want to change the color of your car, restore it, or re-paint it and give it back its former glory, you will need to know how to remove paint from the car. It is always better to completely remove old paint before applying a new one due to oblivious reasons. The paint job will look much better, and the new paint will be stronger and more immune to scratches. The process is the same if you want to know how to remove spray paint from a car. There are 3 main options, and you can choose either one which is comfortable with you.
Required Tools or Equipment’s
For removing paint from any vehicle, you need simple equipment. However, this is a small part of the story. There are 3 methods, and each one requires different techniques. We will mention each type below, before moving to the actual steps you need to take. Also, you will need to know how to clean your tools as well. Using a magic eraser on paint with massive scratches is useless.
This is the simplest method, and as such, you will need basic tools. Most of you already have them in a garage, so you can start stripping paint from any car as soon as possible. Anyway, you will need:
- Respirator or a mask
- Sanding machine
This is a bit more complicated method, and it requires additional protection. What this means is that you will use a chemical to remove the paint and that chemical is dangerous to inhale. It also should be avoided from the skin and soft materials such as seats, belts, etc. Yes, you can use this method to learn how to remove paint from wheels. For this method, you will need:
- Gas mask
- Chemical stripper
- Pieces of cloth
This is the fastest method, and it is commonly used when restoring a car. Remove paint scuff from a car magic eraser is something you can use for minor tasks, but if you want completely new paint, you can use this method. It is a bit more advanced and more complicated than average, but it can help you remove all the paint within a few hours. You will need:
- Mask or respirator
- Sandblasting machine (or air compressor and a sandblasting gun)
The steps for this method are the same regardless of the fact do you want to learn how to remove spray paint heavy-duty paint or any other. Keep in mind that this method requires advanced protection, and you must not sandblast your car or a vehicle without a complete set of protective gear. It is mandatory and essential.
How to remove paint from car Step by Step
You already know How to clean your car seats and car seat belts. Now is the time to learn how to remove paint from your car. As we have aforementioned, the process is available in three different ways, and now we will explain each one. Be free to choose the one that is most convenient for you and start as soon as possible. All three methods are time-consuming, and you will need plenty of time and effort. Some of you will want to use a cloth that removes scratches, like the one you can see here, while others will move directly to complete paint removal. It is up to you.
This is the most generic process of them all, and you can use it for Wheel Rims, bumpers, body, etc. It is the slowest of the three, but the cheapest. In essence, you will need basic tools you already have, and you can do it anywhere. Make sure to watch the below YouTube video to get a better idea of how to remove the damages, scratches, and paint from a car. All you should do is follow these steps.
- Wear respirator. It is mandatory to protect yourself from the tiny paint debris, which is toxic. Never proceed without the gas mask or a respirator. You can purchase plenty of paper filters for $1, and they will work great.
- Attach sandpaper, grit 220 to a sanding machine. This is the initial step, and it should be performed before the second one. You will see the goal of it in the next step.
- Start sanding. The goal here is to remove large dents and to remove the upper layers of the paint. You will see that most of the parts will be sanded completely from the paint within minutes. On average, you may need 3-4 hours to complete the entire car, depending on its size and the overall power of the sanding machine. If you don’t have a sanding machine, you can use a grinder or a drill, with the 220 grit attachment. But, make sure you are careful due to the fact they spin too fast and can damage the metal under the paint!
- Replace the sandpaper with 400 grit and repeat the 3rd. Now, the goal here is to remove tiny residue of paint and to polish the surface. After that, you can use quality spray paint for rims or paint to paint your car. Don’t forget that this process usually takes longer than the previous one, and you will need to replace the sandpaper more frequently.
- Wipe the surface with a cloth. You can use this method to learn how to remove house paint from a car or any other paint.
The second method we have prepared for you is completely different than the first one. It uses a chemical to dissolve the paint from the car, and you will have to remove it without sandpaper or any machine. You will use this method when you want to remove factory paint and lacquer from a car. In that case scenario, you can use the other two methods, but this one is the quickest. To use this process, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Use gloves, goggles, and respirators. It is mandatory, once again.
- Apply the chemical to all the parts of a car. Use a brush, larger, preferably to apply to the smallest parts.
- Leave the chemical for a specific period. Now, different chemicals require different amounts of time, so you need to consult the user manual. In general, up to 6 hours is enough.
- Use a spatula or any flat and long object to remove the paint. It will be partially liquid and soft, so you can easily remove it. Make sure you remove it as quickly as possible. If you leave it for a couple of days, it might occur that the paint hardens again, which will make the entire process so much longer.
- Use a gentle cloth to wipe and clean the surface. You can use gentle sandpaper to remove residue or traces of paint as well. Just make sure it is high on grit value, meaning it won’t damage the metal under the pain.
The last method on our list is the most advanced, the most rewarding, and the fastest. However, it is the most expensive as well. If you read the equipment needed section, you can see that you need a sandblasting machine. The alternative is to use an air compressor with a hose, a gun for sandblasting, and the particles. They can be made from glass, plastics or sand. Glass ones are the best, and they work fast. We recommend this type of particle specifically. Now is the time to reveal the steps.
- Wear goggles, safety suits, gloves, and gas masks with massive face coverage. If you avoid all of this, you can injure yourself, or you can inhale the mixture of blasting particles and paint, which is toxic. How to remove paint transfer from car bumper, you wonder? This method isn’t suitable for that, due to the sheer power of it.
- Place the nozzle next to the car, a few inches away, and start. You will see that as soon particles reach the paint, they will remove it from the car. You will also see that this method removes the filler and any other chemicals from the car. Now, all you have to do is to complete the entire car using this method. Yes, it is time-consuming, but it leaves a clean surface that will catch the paint perfectly, and your vehicle will look like new. You can rent a sandblasting machine, and you can complete the entire car within one day. The best part is the fact this is an effortless method so you won’t get tired of working.
- Wipe the surface using a clean cloth or a cleaning chemical available in your local store. You can order one online also. This method removes magic eraser car paint transfer, all paints, despite the number of them and body filler.
- Try to remember that you shouldn’t use this method on plastic elements. They are much softer than metal so that you can damage them easily. On the other size, it can be used on fiberglass components.
What will take the paint off of a car?
Regardless of the fact, are you trying to remove complete paint, paint scuff on car, or repair damage, you will need to partially or completely remove original paint? You can use sandpaper, sander with sandpaper, sandblasting machine, or chemical paint removal.
What home remedy will remove paint from a car?
The only chemical strong enough to damage and remove car paint is isopropyl alcohol. It should be used carefully, and it will remove new paint rather than the old one. However, it can damage the paint, which makes sanding easier.
How do you get acrylic paint off a car?
The best method is to use an electric sander with sandpaper of 22 grit. Once you complete the entire car, repeat the step using 400 grit. The second step is used to polish the surface. If and it is possible, your car has transparent lacquer; you will need to use a paint resolver. This is a chemical we mentioned in the second method above, and it is primarily used when the paint is immune to sandpaper. This means that the lacquer is too thick, and you will need additional chemicals.
Is WD 40 safe on car paint?
Yes, it is perfectly safe. You can use it to remove stains, dust, and dirt, but the paint will stay unaffected. WD 40 won’t damage the paint or remove it in any way. Nevertheless, you may want to use a car polisher to make the paint stand out. We must add that Automotive Spray paint is great for small repairs and fixing the damages, but it is generally less durable than actual acrylic paint.
How much does it cost to get paint off your car?
The price may vary significantly. For example, the size of a car, the color you want, the type of paint, the motives, and the finish you like. The total price will vary between $3000 and $15.000. However, if you prepare the car all by yourself, by removing the paint, you can save up to $2000. This is a massive saving, and all you are going to need are simple tools and a few days of your time. The result will be the same.
You May Like: How to Plasti Dip Rims and How to Remove it When Needed
Today we helped you learn how to remove paint from the car using one of three methods. All of them are commonly used by professionals, and they are very popular. You can choose the one method that you liked the most or the most affordable one and start. Keep in mind that you can use all three methods, but they are generally used separately. There is no need and, in most cases, impossible to use all three of them in the same car.