High engine oil consumption is an unexpected but typical scenario for everyone who drives automobiles. Many of us have to deal with this situation quite often, especially when the vehicle is aging. And this time we guess, you’ve got the situation opting in and looking for a quick and long-term solution.
Don’t worry because here, we will be breaking it down and troubleshooting the issue throughout the whole article. At the end of the piece, you’ll undoubtedly get a solution.
Let’s get to the point. So, three questions pop up in everyone’s mind when he or she faces a high engine oil consumption problem. Firstly, exactly how much consumption of engine oil will be called ‘High Consumption’? Secondly, how long we have this thing happening? And thirdly, what is required to do for getting rid of this problem?
Go through the sections below where we’ve crafted a point-by-point solution on all three queries.
How Much Consumption Is A ‘High Engine Oil Consumption’?
We all know that the purpose of engine oil is to lubricate the mechanism and the components inside. For a smooth operation, a certain level of engine oil consumption is a natural process. Ideally, there should be no oil consumption on purpose. But as you know, that only works in theories. For modern cars with a new engine, roughly 0.50 quarts of oil is acceptable within 5,000 miles driven. Vehicles that had been on the road for a few years, the range can fall to 0.50 quarts for every 1000-1500 miles driven.
But from the day it reaches the consumption limit of a quart or more in every 500 miles, that’s what we call a High Engine Oil Consumption. It will lead towards a handful of troubles to the car, and you should take immediate actions to overcome it. To identify the problem, you can check whether some blue smokes are coming through the exhaust or not.
1. What is engine oil consumption?
There are two types of engine oil consumption, regular engine oil consumption, and excessive engine oil consumption. Sometimes oil consumption is high because of leaking of timing oil seal, engine main oil seal and tappet cover oil seal and the spark plug oil seal. If you notice such a problem, immediately go to your car mechanics.
2.Causes of engine oil consumption:
- There are many reasons for high engine oil consumption. Here, we have pointed out some important reasons:
- Not using proper SAE grade and API rating engine oil which recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
- Using Bad quality oil filter.
- Not using adequate and good quality air cleaner filter and not replacing it.
- Not changing the engine oil and filter, before it dies (Always try to maintain manufacturer guidelines also you can see another article car maintenance tips you found details is there)
- Always use the proper quantity of oil when you replace oil, less and excess amount both are harmful to your car engine.
- If your vehicle turbochargers bushes (bearings) worn-out, it causes high oil consumption so you should repair or replace turbo immediately unless your car engine fails quickly.
- If the valve oil seal (PVC Seal) is hard or damaged, so your car also consumes high oil.
- If the piston rings gap increases.
- If you run your vehicle with less engine oil.
- If compressors piston ring gap increases or worn-outs (For diesel run vehicle)
From the beginning, you should not high accelerate your car. Run it for minimum 2 min for ideal RPM after that you can increase! And the same case when you stop your car you must run your car 2 min for ideal R.P.M. Then you stop the vehicle (Keep in mind, in the early morning when you awoke you can’t run, you take some preparations. In the same way, you should maintain your car)
3. Symptoms of High Engine oil consumption:
If you study, you can understand the typical symptoms of engine oil consumption easily. The signs of excessive engine oil consumption are:
- Your vehicle will run slow if you accelerate.
- Your gas consumption will increase.
- The engine will give white or blue smokes.
- The lousy smell will come from your car exhaust gas.
- Sometime your car will stop at the ideal speed.
- Your car engine will overheat.
- Abnormal sounds will come from your engine.
- Air-condition system will not work properly.
- Engine Gives Black Smoke and Blue Smoke.
- Excessive Blow-by from Engine.
4.The consequence of excessive engine oil consumption
So many things can happen if excessive engine oil consumption continues for a long time. Every bad habit makes a problem in the car.
- It will seize your car engine.
- The crankshaft will break.
- Engine block will be affected badly.
- The engine will overheat, and your car engine head will run out.
5. How to eliminate or reduce the high engine oil consumption:
Nothing that comes with the vehicle lasts for a lifetime. Every part of the engine has a different life expectancy. Some run for ten years, and some run for 20 years. Here we give some points about how to fix or reduce high engine oil consumption.
- Change engine oil and filters regularly.
- Do the Engine tune up in proper time.
- Use the best quality of spares.
- Engine oil level and coolant Level check regularly, top it up if needed.
- Check it regularly if you observed oil in your parking spot.
- Monthly Check your car from your reliable mechanic.
- Clean the air cleaner regularly and use low air pressure for cleaning the air filter.
- Replace the air filter in the right time (We recommend to change it after every 5000 miles) also you can follow the car manufacturer guidelines.
- Engine Analyzer
- Compression Tester
- Complete Toolbox
- Torque wrench
- Cleaning agents
- Hand Gloves
- Safety Glass
- Hydraulic Jack
- Engine Crane
- Hydraulic Lift
- Some clothes
- Oil Filter Wrench
6. How to fix stop Engine oil consumption:
(Mechanic does these works)
- If your car valve PVC Oil seal is hard or leaky, replace it
- Wash your vehicle engine and observe if you find any leakage of the engine oil, so fix it.
- Check the engine compression test
- Check HC % of your car by using engine analyzer
- If all results come negative, your car needs to replace engine/overhauling.
- After finishing the engine replacement or overhauling you must road test your vehicle
- If you feel comfortable, receive your vehicle from the mechanic.
Material required (If Needed Overhauling or replace Engine)
- Engine Overhauling Kits Sets
- Spark plug
- Piston rings
- Oil Pump
- Engine oil
- Engine oil Filter
- Air Cleaner filter
- Valve Set
- Engine Block ( If required)
- Head ( If Required )
- Complete Engine ( If required )
- Penetrating oil ( For Cleaning and Rusty Nut and Bolts )
- Machine Shop Works ( As per requirements )
7. After receiving the car from the mechanic, you should maintain your car:
- Carefully run at least 1000 miles and don’t run your vehicle on over the average speed
- After 2000 miles change the engine oil and filter.
- After 5000 miles you should go to your mechanics and recheck your car. If you observe little problems, ask your mechanics to fix the issues.
- In rare cases, the same problems arise again. However, we hope your car- issues will be solved permanently.
So here we have mentioned personal and practical experience of handling the automobiles for a long time. It would be great to know if this article is of your any use. If you have any suggestions, questions or advice, we would be happy to have those.